18 May 2009

Abandoned Firefox Extensions for May

I don't dislike these extensions -- don't get the wrong idea. However, every now and then I go through my extension list on Firefox to see what extensions have now had their functionality duplicated by Firefox's native features, what extensions I simply don't use anymore, or what extensions haven't been updated in a long time.

I list them here to remember them by, for some of them have been with me for a long time. (Excuse me, I have a tear in my eye.)

"Blue Ice" Firefox Theme
Hasn't been updated in a long time (since Firefox 2).

MR Tech's "Splash" Extension
An extension that loads a Firefox splash image whilst Firefox is loading. Pretty cool -- just turned it off since it's only eye candy. But a neat extension, nonetheless -- reminds me of the old Mozilla 1.7 days (back when Firefox was only a glimmer in our eyes).

Scribefire: Fire up your blogging
An extension that sought to centralize all blogging from within your browser. I soon grew tired of the bugs. :( A neat idea, though.

Lazarus: Restore lost forms with a single click
While this extension seems like a godsend (how many times have you submitted a web form, only to get an error or a crash or something, and then go back to find all your carefully typed text gone?), it was conflicting with a few of my other extensions, if I remember correctly. Might revist it one day.

Pirates of the Amazon
The infamous extension that provided a shortcut to PirateBay.org torrent pages when you viewed things on Amazon.com. Probably the most over-hyped extension of all time -- it did nothing that you couldn't do yourself in two mouse clicks, but to hear the mainstream news talk about, you'd think it designed by Satan himself.

Personas for Firefox :: Firefox Add-ons
An official Mozilla extension that would allow you to quickly skin and change the appearance of your browser with far more intense and in-depth themes that normal. Just eye candy, but I may revisit.

Adblock Plus: Save your time and traffic
The famous Adblock Plus -- I just don't use it anymore, but it's still great. My method of blocking ads has changed from a blacklist based approach (like Adblock, blocking things explicitly) to a more whitelist based approach (like NoScript, blocking everything automatically, unblocking as you go). I find the whitelist-based approach to be much faster and easier to adapt to new ads over time.

2 comments:

  1. Scribefire was updated today but I have no idea if any of the bugs you encountered were fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aye, I've watched it get updated pretty often -- I will definitely revisit in the future, always did love the idea of having everything unified like it does.

    ReplyDelete