24 September 2007

OLPC announces $399 "Give 1 Get 1" holiday XO promo - Engadget


XO Laptop
OLPC announces $399 "Give 1 Get 1" holiday XO promo - Engadget


Ugh. At $399, forget about it. I was willing to pay twice the price for this (as well as were a lot of people) back when it cost $100, but at $400, no thanks.

I still love the project and the idea behind it -- some of the innovation that's come out of this project is simply amazing, like the wireless "meshing" technology that can connect many computers in a network even when no internet access is available, and the dual-mode LCD screen that lets you continue using it even when the laptop's CPU is powered down.

I understand that costs have gone up and that the $100 price is no longer possible, but why? I haven't seen much explanation other than that "initial costs have been greater than expected" -- how?

Show me how, OLPC foundation, and I'll reconsider.

No comments:

Post a Comment